This afternoon I had the first half of a root canal done. When the assistant read my patient information sheet and saw the word “library” I heard the phrases that I’ve heard countless times before , “It must be so great to work at the library. It must be so quiet. You must get to read so many books.”
Check on the first one. The library is the best place in the world to work. Quiet? She admitted she has not been to the library in a few years. Reading? I can’t even tell you the last fiction book I read, and I don’t know many staff who actually have time to read on the job.
Even my son thinks mommy and daddy go to work and read books all day. I’ve heard before that books are our brand, but it is so not what we are all about anymore.
Yesterday Bobbi Newman wrote a post on her site Librarian by Day with the idea of what if we could all write posts detailing a day or week in the life of a librarian. Not only is this a great way for us to see what our colleagues are doing and how they spend their days but it’s a great way for students who are interested in the library profession to see what we really do.
If you are interested in sharing your day/week in the life:
- Add your name to the list at the Library Day in the Life Wiki. The invitation code is: library.
- Add your name, your job title (so we can see what you do at a glance) and a link to your blog.
- Next week* start blogging.
- Tag your posts with librarydayinthelife.
- Later you can go back and edit the wiki to change your blog link to a link to your tagged posts, e.g. http://librarytrainer.com/tag/librarydayinthelife/
* The dates are a suggestion so we can have a communal feel to this endeavor. If the dates don’t work for you, you can start any time. I’m hoping that this will continue as an ongoing project for the library community.
Hats off to Bobbi for the great idea!